Sunday 6 June 2010

Rockin' Song of the Week No.101 - Ray Hudson



Ray Hudson and the Western Rhythmaires - Jackhammer
Dixie 45-1043

I know nothing about Ray Hudson and the Western Rhythmaires other than what I can see at Terry E Gordon's great Rockin' Country Style website (thanks for the label shot). He had two singles on the legendary Starday-Dixie label, the first one, The Blues Walked Away being a favourite on the rockin' scene. That came out on Dixie 45-819 in late 1959, a full four years before his next effort.

The second single (Dixie 45-1043) is a classic. The flip side, Here I Am Drunk Again is a well known cover of the Autry Inman country bopper. The a-side is a monster instrumental. The intro is all Duane Eddy before moving into Link Wray and Sandy Nelson mode. Does anyone know who the guitarist is? I know a lot of the Starday stuff is Hal Harris but it doesn't sound like him to me. It packs more punch than a jackhammer and if savage rock 'n' roll is your bag, you'll love it.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I fixed Ray's A/C today. He is alive and well in Wichita, Ks.

Bluesbaby said...

The guitarist is my dad. Avon Don Dyer. He also wrote and performed other records on Dixie , Standard, and others. If you want more info contact me at jandrews33@cox.net.