Tuesday 1 December 2009

PORKYS HOT ROCKIN' - WE'VE GOT THE CURE FOR THOSE SUMMERTIME BLUES


PORKYS HOT ROCKIN' - WE'VE GOT THE CURE FOR THOSE SUMMERTIME BLUES
Foot Tapping Records FT088

Track listing: SUMMERTIME BLUES / DON'T ASK ME WHY / JUKEBOX JESSIE / I AIN'T WAITING / SWEETHEARTS OR STRANGERS / TRAIN KEPT A ROLLIN' / MY WAY / YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL / ALL THE TIME / LONESOME LOVE STORY / PROUD MARY / CAROLINE

The new Porky’s Hot Rockin’ line-up sees Porky backed by legendary Restless brothers Mark and Paul Harman and his own brother John. Porky Coates has been one of my favourite acts of the last two years and Mark Harman has been a hero of mine for twenty odd years, so this much be a sure-fire hit record. Well, no actually, it isn’t the no-brainer you’d expect. In fact I’d have to say I found it a bit disappointing. I think the problem is that the rockers are too familiar and quite often his voice sounds a bit flat.

For me, the stand-out track is the pepped-up version of Elvis’ Don’t Ask Me Why. As with his brilliant cover of the King’s Angel, he’s taken an okay ballad, notched it up as gear and in the process made the song his own. He’s tried the same on the Jailhouse Rock ballad, Young And Beautiful, but it seems more forced and doesn’t worth half as well.

I’m not sure we need another version of Eddie’s Summertime Blues, but it’s a bit different in that Harman plays some jumpsuit era James Burton. They give Status Quo’s Caroline a good kick in the ass with Mark Harman playing some wicked guitar.

On the originals front we get Harman’s rocker Jukebox Jessie where Porky’s sounds like he eats Wurlitzers for breakfast. Porky’s own Lonesome Love Song is okay but I liked the western styled I Ain’t Waiting despite the lapses into Bananaramaville.

We visit a couple of Memphis’ best in Carl Perkins (Sweethearts or Strangers) and Johnny Burnette (Train Kept A Rollin’) as well as another nod to Eddie Cochran with My Way which again sees Harman in fine form. Sleepy’s All The Time is pretty poor and CCR’s Proud Mary is worse. On a positive note, I thought the album title was funny.

No comments: