Tuesday 10 March 2009

Jason Lee Wilson - Another Hole In Another Wall


Jason Lee Wilson - Another Hole In Another Wall
Rhythm Bomb Records - RBR5679


You can tell from his song-writing that he’s steeped in the history of hillbilly and rockabilly, little surprise when you consider he born and raised in the hill country of south-east Tennessee. In 1998, he formed the rockabilly band the Cumberland Runners, and although he’s gone solo, they still they occasion gigs together in the South. He singed to Rhythm Bomb Records resulting in the High Country album in 2007 where he was backed in the studio by label-mates, the Round Up Boys. They provide sympathetic backing that perfectly compliments Wilson’s songs. Such was the universal acclaim of that album, Rhythm Bomb have again teemed JLW with the Roundup Boys for this latest album, which regretfully is my introduction to the guy.

I know it shouldn’t matter, but I already loved this guy before I heard him – he’s the grand-cousin of Marvin Rainwater gaddamit. Jason Lee Wilson recorded this fine album in Berlin, Germany in the famous Lightning Recorders studio.

The opener is a chugging honky tonk number. The title track sounds like early BR549 to me with JLW’s voice not disimilar to Chuck Mead. Truckstop Betty has more steel than Pittsburg and is great uptempo country music. I know we keep saying that country music ain’t what it used to be, but songs like this remind us what it could/should be. The Field And The Vine visits Johnny Cash territory with the Roundup Boys giving a spirited nod to the Tennessee Three. I Used To Wish On A Star is stone-cold country with a great 50’s feel with a gentle layer of backing vocals that lifts the song from really good to fantastic – this is so authentic it makes Dwight Yoakam seem like a pop star, and I love Dwight!

Tired Of Being Sorry has a 60’s feel that reminded me of Buck Owens. There’s more hillbilly fever in Tough Roe To Hoe which tells of the woe’s of a gold-digger. He morphs Johnny Cash with Hank Snow for the foot tappin’ Golden Girl. I love the mournful Too Much Walking, with it’s passing nod to Merle and Joe Nichols – this is timeless country music that you wouldn’t believe was cut in the 21st Century.

The album closes out in fine form with the beautiful You Call Me A Fool, Be Warned which sounds like Elvis’ take on Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues and the honky tonker My Last Ride. A great album that should appeal to broadminded rockabillies and will have country lovers frothing at the mouth. I’d love to think this was the future of country music, but we all know the reality.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow with a review like that I am most impressed and eagerly anticipate hearing Jason's new album.

Boppin' Bill said...

Nice thoughts on a great CD. I have them all. Really good stuff. Now you should check out "New Road Under My Wheels" by the most incredible Mr. Jerry Miller. The Boston area one, not the one from Tacoma WA who was in Moby Grape.