Thursday 6 August 2009

Introducing..CC Jerome’s Jetsetters


CC Jerome’s Jetsetters
Introducing….
El Toro ETCD 6042

Dutchman CC Jerome (real name Jeroen Van Gasteren) paid his dues for a decade on the American scene with the likes of Lee Rocker and Levi Dexter. Now back in Europe he has teamed up with Dean Black on bass, Coen Molenschot on drums and a host of guests on piano, sax and other instruments together with his own contributions on lead guitar.

The opener, Hot Rod Party, and Hi Fi Baby are fine, hot rockin’ blues with rumbling guitar and sax break. Wine and Roses is a blues stroller with an harmonica that gives it the feel of Chess in the 21st Century. Johnny Guitar Watson’s Getting’ Drunk smokes with a couple of lovely blues guitar break. On second hearing I really grew to like the poppier, I’m In Love With you which starts off pretty mundane before turning into a nice 60‘s soul type number.

Of the covers, I was impressed by I’m Ready and a Hammond organ can’t spoil Charlie Rich’s Mohair Sam. I was less impressed with Honey Hush and although Gene Taylor gives the piano a good bollocking on the Killer’s I’m On Fire, the drums were too heavy for me.

Favourite songs on the album has to be I Like Ike’s Trouble Up The Road, a barnstormer and Oh Baby, a stroller that comes with a Duane Eddy twang. A strong release for El Toro and Jerome alike. It’s got a cool little album cover as well.

No comments: