Monday 24 August 2009

Rockin' Song of the Week No. 66 - Jerry Lee Lewis - Late Nite Lovin' Man



Jerry Lee Lewis - Late Nite Lovin' Man
Killer Country (Electra Records) 1980

If Jerry Lee Lewis was a songwriter, he would have written this himself and saved Boyne, Beattie and Lowe the trouble. This is full of the bravado the Killer thrives on. “I don't-a want no watered down whiskey, I said I never get the blues, Hey, if you're lookin' for a good time, honey, Jerry Lee's the man to use” Amen.

The band lay down a great stompin’ beat with the ooh’s and aah’s of the backing vocals egging him on – as if he needs it. Jerry’s Lee’s vocals have it all, swaggering and full of a sexual confidence that threaten any bird mad enough to glance at him. If they’re left in any doubt that this beast is “just a day time sleepin', late nite lovin' man” he lets them know that he “I don't believe in hobbies, I got better things to do, I ain't into watchin' no tv baby, Jerry Lee's got his eye on you”. He nails the songs message - it’s not that’s he’s bragging either, it’s a fact, a guaranteed fact!

As the song closes way too quickly, he tells the gals “I'm gonna play for ya now, I love you” before taking a short solo, pounding the keys like he’s gonna pound the night’s conquest. To top it all, he gives us one of his legendary asides like only the Killer can – shouting “gutbucket blues” before whistling through the fade out – a legend. Why isn’t this guy chiselled out at Rushmore?

1 comment:

flip54 said...

Mt Rushmore ain't big enuff for ole Jurrlee

Sherpa Tensing