Thursday 3 September 2009

The Kingcats at Twinwood


The first group I caught at Twinwood last weekend was Ooh Bop She Bamb who were a bit too polished for me. They impressed with Scatman Crothers’ I'm 'gonna Rock & Roll and their version of Lawdy Miss Clawdy was a neat stroller, I could have done without toothless Don’t Be Cruel. Okay, but just an appetiser for what was to follow.


I was really looking forward to seeing the Kingcats as I think lead singer Bill Crittenden is one of the best singers out there. Way before they’d finished their opener, an extended Promised Land, I knew this was going to be a great show. Jerry Reed’s When I Found You was perfect for the band to show their credentials. They played a couple of numbers from their forthcoming CD including a Sun inspired Lonesome Life For Me and a great cover of the Mavericks’ Losin’ Side Of Me and. They’re regular visitors to the Mav’s catalogue, and seem to be partial to a bit of Elvis as well. Today we got excellent versions of I Got Stung and A Mess of Blues. A highlight of the set was the stroller Perfect World which I knew courtesy of James Intveld. The two have similar voices and it was a fine choice.


Abbey Marie joined the band for a couple of numbers and tore through ‘Til Your Well Runs Dry and Bigelow 6-200. She’s got one hell of a big voice and almost stole the show. The Kingcats finished with a bopping version of the Killers/Hawks’ In The Mood with piano pounder Rusty proving to be anything but. The encore took us back thirty-odd years with Washing Machine Boogie. If you’ve never seen them before, you don’t know what you’re missing. This is a great band with a wonderful lead singer.

Reviews of Big Boy Bloater, Jive Aces, Metrotones and a blistering show from Mike Sanchez to follow over the next few days.

No comments: